23 Aug Breaking Down Each Snap From Jimmy Garoppolo & Trey Lance vs the Los Angeles Chargers
Jimmy Garoppolo Drive 1:
- Complete pass to FB Kyle Juszczyk down the middle for 9 yards.
- Play action, incomplete pass by Garoppolo, missed the receiver completely.
- Another incomplete pass by Garoppolo, hits WR Brandon Aiyuk’s hand, but a flag for holding gets the 49ers a 1st down.
- Garoppolo slings it for 5 yards to TE Charlie Woerner, gets a new set of downs.
- Play action, Garoppolo makes a man miss and scrambles for 11 yards.
- Garoppolo checks down to Hasty for around 1 yard.
- Lots of pressure, Chargers defender makes Jimmy throw the ball away quickly to avoid a sack.
- Jimmy throws too high of a ball to Aiyuk who is unable to make the catch, and ends up deflecting it right into the defender’s hands for an interception. This play lead to quite the debate on Twitter as to who was at fault — Jimmy for the high pass, or Aiyuk for letting it hit him on his hands and not bringing it down. This would conclude Jimmy Garoppolo’s night.
Trey Lance Drive 1:
- Bullet pass from Lance through the middle to WR Deebo Samuel, around 5 air yards.
- Lance drops back and pressure gets to him quickly. He scans the field, but finds no one is open so sends the ball out of bounds.
- Pressure arrives quickly yet again, Lance throws a laser to Deebo which goes between his hands. Forced to punt
Trey Lance Drive 2:
- Lance throws a hard ball a bit high to WR Mo’ Sanu who tips the ball into a Chargers’ defensive back who picks off the pass.
Trey Lance Drive 3:
- Hard pass, nearly picked, a bit far from intended receiver.
- Lance makes a man miss, the second defender almost forces a fumble but Lance keeps the ball.
Trey Lance Drive 4:
- Trey throws a screen pass to RB Wayne Gallman, who drops the ball.
- Lance throws a quick ball to WR Trent Sherfield for 9 yards.
- Sherfield gets wide open and Lance throws it pin point for about 20 yards in the air.
- Lance completes a 5 yard pass to Aiyuk who holds on.
- TOUCHDOWN 49ERS! Mo’ Sanu finds a space through the middle and Lance throws a dart perfectly placed into his hands.
Two-Point Attempt Lance:
- Lance scrambles into the end zone after big pressure and successfully converts the two-point attempt. Unfortunately a penalty on the 49ers brings the play back though.
- The 49ers decide to then kick the extra point instead, which Gould misses.
Trey Lance Drive 5:
- Play action, quick pressure from the Chargers, who sack Lance quickly.
- Quick and pass from Lance to Richie James who lets the ball pass through his hands.
Trey Lance Drive 6:
- Another play action, the pressure makes Lance scramble and gain 6 yards and a 1st down.
- Lance throws to WR Travis Benjamin on an out route for 8 yards.
- More pressure from Chargers forces Lance to escape and throw on the run to Richie James, which gets tipped and almost intercepted by the defender.
- Trey Lance throws on the run to Richie James for a gain of 12.
- TOUCHDOWN 49ERS! Lance evades the pressure in his face and releases a rocket to Benjamin with a perfectly placed ball.
- Trey Lance started slow but eventually got into a rhythm and threw for 8 completions out of 14 attempts, which went for 102 yards, 2 touchdowns and 1 interception.
- The receiving core simply had too many drops, including two that ended in interceptions.
- Travis Benjamin, Trent Sherfield and Mohamed Sanu are headed towards the right direction to be in the roster. All three receivers stood out against the Chargers.
- The running backs played well, with Wayne Gallman averaging 4.8 carries and getting 72 yards.
- Hasty also had a good day with 58 yards and a 3.1 average per carry. He looked very quick and showed the vision 49ers fans love to see.
- The defense started weak but ended playing well including a pick-six that got taken back. Arden Key continues to impress.
- The defense combined for 5 sacks, which is great to see, one of which resulted in a safety by Jordan Willis.
- Rookie CB Ambry Thomas struggled and gave up big yardage catches. He continues to be too physical in coverage, which will almost always draw a flag.
- Fellow rookie CB Deommodore Lenoir is still proving to be a good draft pick, and was decent in coverage. He makes plays.
- Ha Ha Clinton-Dix led the team in tackles with a total of 4.
- Newly-signed LB Mychal Kendricks (tpe) & DT Maurice Hurst (ankle) both left the game with injuries after the first defensive series. Kyle Shanahan said in the postgame press conference he was a little worried about their status since they both left very early on and neither were able to return to the game.